Friday, June 18, 2010

Review: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Mojo

After a several year hiatus from recording with the complete Heartbreakers ensemble, Mojo breaks some new ground for TP+HB.  The album is quite eclectic with strong blues roots, a reggae tune and a couple of rock ballads. This album was also done on-the-fly, completely raw with no overdubs - a refreshing change in the world of music today.

I have been a huge Petty fan for as long as I can remember, and the first Mojo listen-through didn't really catch me, but it is proving to be infectious.  The second time though some of the tunes really started to grab my ear.  I don't think it will be my favorite TP+HB album, but it is certainly worth the buy - especially if you are a fan.

My three stars on the album are:
3.     "Running Man's Bible"
2.     "Something Good Coming" 
1.    "I Should Have Known It" 

Rating: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment